Welcome to the homepage for McGill MATH 140 Calculus 1 at Jacob’s Help Desk!
- Register for MATH 140 Weekly Mastery Lectures Calculus 1.
- Register for MATH 140 Midterm Mastery Prep Calculus 1.
- About the Mastery Lectures for MATH 140.
- Cost & payment info for MATH 140.com Mastery Lectures.
- About the Midterm Mastery Prep for MATH 140.
- Comments from previous students.
- What you should know about MATH 140: The Long View
- MATH 140 Mastery Lectures Facebook Group
About the Weekly Mastery Lectures for Math 140
Calculus 1, McGill
The weekly sessions for Math 140 are 2h, small-group, sessions that will help you master the concepts and theory presented in the course lectures. They include detailed, typeset notes that explain the terminology and notation. The notes are carefully designed as interactive documents that provide you with a chance to engage the material during the session so you can test your understanding, and also include representative, fully-solved problems and additional practice problems.
During the session we will look at detailed, developed solutions, meant to illustrate different aspects of the material in a systematic, structured and easy-to-follow approach. Solutions are colour-coded to make it easy for you to see through the barrage of symbols and focus on the key concepts. It’ll also help you learn to structure your answers efficiently and effectively, so that the logic of the solution is clear to you (and the marker!).
The sessions are also designed with a view of the entire course in mind, so you know where to invest your time both in terms of success in this class, as well as in terms of the topics that will have the greatest application in future classes.
The Math140.com Weekly Mastery Lectures will help you with:
- Time Management: even if you’re keeping up with the class on your own, the Math140.com Weekly Mastery Lectures will help you make better use of your study time. The notorious difficulty of McGill math classes is not inherent to the content itself; rather, it is the sheer volume of material that makes the classes so challenging. Better to spend 2h in a weekly session that will help you really understand the concepts and complete assignments yourself, rather than spending 8-10+h banging your head against the textbook and trying to decipher online resources only to get answers that don’t really make much sense to you, and have it haunt you come exam time, when you’ve got 4 other classes to study for.
- Maintaining Commitment: despite the best of intentions to keep up with material and not use Uncle Wolfram for Webworks, McGill & Montreal have their way of always offering up absolutely, totally, 100% legitimate reasons that derail the best laid plans. So you make a financial commitment to a weekly session that helps you reach your goal. It’s like the gym-membership model: you can workout on your own, but it’s a lot easier to reach your goals when you surround yourself with others who are working towards the same end. Knowing that you need help to reach a goal (& acting on it!) is knowing how to find the success you want.
- Math Therapy: I believe that anyone who wants to learn math, can. If you feel you’re terrible or hopeless at math, or just don’t enjoy it, there’s probably a list of bad math teachers somewhere in your past that would go a long way to explaining the difficulties you have, & no one wants to spend their time feeling like they just can’t get it. However, if you’re motivated and willing to do the work and practice, then you can definitely succeed. I’ve seen it hundreds of times: students go from failing in a fantastically impressive way to acing the class. The weekly tutorials will go a long way to rehabilitating your relationship with math. Whatever your level, I want to help you reach your goals in this course – there’s so much more to gain than just a good grade in rising to the challenge.
- Top of the Class: many students who attend the weekly Mastery Lectures don’t want to just pass the class, they want to understand the material at an intuitive level, &nd they want to ace the class. The weekly lectures provide a wealth of information that help you develop general, transferable skills in mathematical literacy and reasoning, and I work hard to help students do their very best (and many have both aced their classes and finished very top of the class).
Cost & Payment Structure for Weekly Mastery Lectures for Math 140
If you have never attended one of my sessions previously, your first session is only $20. Simply regiter using the contact form above, or get in touch with me at Jacob@Math140.com – you’ll be glad you did!
Full 7-Week Membership: prepay for the entire set of 7 sessions and get the best price for the Math 140 sessions: $280 for everything you need to master the material and succeed in your class.
Included in the weekly membership: not only the weekly lectures, but detailed notes at every session (7-12 pages, 9pt, colour-coded), and priority registration (as well as discounted rates!) for WebWork Workshops, Midterm Review and Final Mastery Sessions.
This option is only available during the first 3 weeks of sessions and for the total set of 7 sessions. So if you join during the 2nd or 3rd session, the price is still $280; however, you’d receive all the previous notes and still qualify for all the benefits.
My goal in offering this lowest price is to encourage you to join the sessions early, so that you can establish a strong foundation right from the start so you’ll be less stressed for the final and do better in the class, overall: take advantage & register right away!
- Prepay (min.) 4 Sessions: $220, includes notes and all other benefits of weekly membership. There is always the option of getting the notes from previous tutorials, sutdents can contact me at Jacob@Math141.com for exact prices. The same benefits as the 7-week membership also apply. For complete details, get in touch using the contact form or contact Jacob@Math141.com.
- Individual Sessions: $65/session, including all relevant notes; subject to space; cancellations must be made min. 48h prior to the session. For additional information, get in touch using the contact form, above.
N.B. All payments are non-refundable; please contact Jacob@Math140.com for additional information.
About the Midterm Mastery Prep for Math 140
The Math140.com Midterm Mastery Prep is hosted online on a platform that allows you to work through it all at your own pace, any time that works for you. It includes ~150 practice problems (including a mock midterm) and ~6.5h of video explaining the solutions in simple language.
Registrations and access to the Midterm Mastery Prep here.
MATH 140 – The Long View
This is an incredibly satisfying class to teach because I have the opportunity to help students understand some of the most important foundational concepts in calculus. Sometimes these are students who have never felt they had any real success in math, previously, who end up developing an appreciation for the material when they start to see that they can actually understand it and succeed in their class.
For students who are already managing to find answers, I’ll help them develop their mathematical reasoning and help them focus on the most important concepts; concepts which will return over and over (and over!) again in future classes. Without someone to help you identify this important material, it’s easy to get lost in the large mass of topics. Not to mention that it feels great to get to later classes and have the content seem easier and easier while everyone else is struggling more and more. It all starts with this class!
What others are saying about our sessions:
Finding the right teacher is really important, but it’s not easy to know what to expect. Here are some unsolicited comments from recent McGill students. You can find more reviews from past students on the tutorials page. Ask around: I work hard to make sure that all of my students do the best they can!
“I know most people are probably Grieve-ing for their grades right now but I found the final difficult but manageable.
Just wanted so say thanks for the help this semester with ODES. The emphasis you put on theory was extremely useful for this class especially on the final.
Thanks again Bro-dry for the time and effort you put into the sessions and I’ll definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a math tutor. Also quiz apparently went better than I originally thought: I got 100%!”
– Laurent G. MATH 263 Fall 2014
“Thanks again for all the work you’re putting into these tutorials. It’s really making a difference as far as learning and really understanding the material goes … Jacob is an excellent instructor. He takes care to ensure we truly understand the material and can derive the equations needed on our own.
His sessions are clear, concise, and engaging, much better than any materials supplied by the professors or math texts.
I highly recommend him to anyone having issues intuitively understanding the materials in class.”
– Zachary K., MATH 263 Fall 2014
“Just wanted to keep you updated as you asked about my grade! I ended up getting an A- which I am extremely happy about so thank you again so much for your help, would have never been able to do so well without it!”
– Cassie E., Winter 2014
“Got an A! Thanks for the help I’m so relieved woooooow!”
– J. Arnette, Winter 2014
“Comparing my Calc 1 results (C) and Calc 2 results (B+) all I can say is you saved by butt! and I am very grateful for that. Thank you!!!!”
– Dana M., Winter 2014
“I passed. Literally almost threw my computer in the air I was so relieved. I’m pumped – Thanks so much.”
– A. Singh, Winter 2014